Tuesday 1st June – Monday 7th June 2021 is National Volunteers Week! Volunteering is a great way of making a fantastic contribution to a good cause and to the wider community. Volunteers Week is the time to celebrate volunteers and their contribution.
Why should you volunteer?
As well as helping others, volunteering has been shown to improve volunteers’ wellbeing too; helping other people also helps you feel good! Volunteering can also help you gain valuable new skills and experiences, and boost your confidence.
There are many ways which volunteering can create a positive impact for both you and others such as: ¹
- having the opportunity to make a difference to the lives of others
- helping others less fortunate or without a voice
- feeling valued and part of a team
- gaining confidence and self-esteem
- gaining new skills, knowledge and experience
- developing existing skills and knowledge
- enhancing your CV
- meeting new people and making new friends
Did You Know?
Here are some facts and figures about volunteering in the UK:
- In 2018/19, 19.4 million (36%) people volunteered through a group at least once a year and over 11.9 million (22%) of people did so at least once a month.²
- The most common reason overall for volunteering is wanting to improve things or help people (42%). ²
- In 2019/20, there were around 163,000 voluntary organisations in the UK, most of which rely on volunteers. ²
- In 2017/18, the voluntary sector contributed £18.2bn to the UK economy. This is equivalent to about 0.9% of GDP. ²
- 67% of volunteers give their time to charities and community groups, but many others also volunteer in the public and private sectors.²
Why volunteer at Say It With Your Chest?
Here at Say It With Your Chest, we are currently recruiting remote volunteers . Online volunteering means you can make a positive contribution all from the comfort of your own home! Some of the benefits that you will get from joining the team include:
- Free access to a 24/7 well-being helpline
- The opportunity to use your skills and experience to help a not-for-profit develop
- An opportunity to gain new skills
- Invitations to exclusive Say It With Your Chest events
- Great experience to put on your CV
- Flexible volunteer hours that fit around you
- Being part of an organisation with like-minded people
If you believe in empowering young people to be the best version of themselves and want to help create a world where young people are supported to thrive, realise their potential and build a better future for themselves, apply today!
The deadline for applications is 21st June 11am.
- The National Council for Voluntary Organisations (2021). I Want to Volunteer. [online] NCVO. London: NCVO. Available at: https://www.ncvo.org.uk/ncvo-volunteering/i-want-to-volunteer
- Volunteers Week (2021). What is Volunteers Week?. [online] Volunteers Week. London: Young Minds. Available at: https://volunteersweek.org/about-volunteers-week/what-is-volunteers-week/